[Scriptoris] Greetings and Thank Yous

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 8 12:49:33 PST 2010

Lord Thomas,

Congratulations on your new office!

Like you, my SCA scribal "career" [strange wording the SCA uses for
club contributions since I always thought a "career" was a paid
occupation- ; -D   ] has been for my local area, Steppes. I haven't
been in it as a practicing scribe for a good many years (I am no
spring chicken). Some of the older scribes may have heard of me. My
neck (cervical bones on nerves) gave out after 40+ years at a light
table, so I had to cut back to almost nothing.

The point of the following "quasi-resume" is that I am offering
myself to you as a private reference resource.

I was active in the mundane calligraphy world, working for the likes
of Tiffany & Co., Sprint, PFC, Roger Staubach, and others, besides
teaching calligraphy for my shop, Calligraphy Heaven, and for a
Dallas community college. I was recently asked to be the backup
calligrapher for the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas by Bishop Stanton

In the past, I did the lettering design for some SCA commemorative
totebags for Warlord, multiple award scrolls through the years, and
teaching at two KW symposiums, one based on a large book I authored
about how to analyze and reproduce a specific hand from a specific
page. (Majadi has watched and commented favorably as he observed my
doing just that. He started as a scribe, you know.)

  I have studied with most of the icons of the mundane world,
including Donald Jackson, former scribe to QE II herself, and others.
I have done the same with internationally known watercolorists and
have works in four countries.  In addition, I have been certified by
the State of Texas to teach art (my BFA) in high school and jr. high,
so I am good at teaching and can offer tips about that, too.

Back to a major point----- best wishes on your term as Sable Scroll
Scribe. You have a great group to work with, though the illuminators
usually outnumber the scribal pool.... Email me if I can help you,
Lord Thomas.

Bon chance!!
Lete

HL Lete Bithespring, Order of the Iris (Calligraphy), Sable Crane,
Order of the Oak, etc.
mka Elaine Crittenden, Dallas