[Scriptoris] Calligraphy Questions

Sara Rasco sara.rasco at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 16:15:08 PDT 2010

A good (and easily accessible) place to start would be the Speedball pens that have a staff and nibs. They're at craft stores, sometimes in with the drawing stuff. They have a set with an assortment or you can get them individually. The C nibs are what you want. Add a bottle of Higgins Eternal ink, and you're in business.

The cartridge pens are less flexible and responsive, so it's all but impossible to replicate certain things as you've seen them done with a dip pen. I think you'll be pleased with what you can do and how quickly you improve once you switch. If you love dip pens, you can order better supplies and accessories from places like Paper and Ink Books and John Neal Bookseller. I could swear I've seen stuff for Arabic calligraphy in one of those places before...

Best of luck!
Penelope de Bourbon