[Scriptoris] Ultra Fine Calig markers or pens

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 6 19:39:15 PST 2011

Gentles, please be kind. You are reading advice from an amnesiac who
doesn't even know which age she's in, much less the year!!

When I needed a small nib, I would sometimes take a pointed pen nib
(like Spencerian writers use) and shape it on a fine hone like knife
blades are sharpened with as a next-to-the-final polishing. The steel
nib was sharpened in the same way I did large (read "thick") quill
ribs, including the bevel at the tip.

The bevel and the angle the pen point is held when making a stroke is
what makes the fine lines. (Please note: When I sharpened nibs, I
used a double lens jewelers bifocal headset that I got at a gem show.
It doubles as a nifty help as a splinter-getter-outer.)

With those nibs, I have written Humanistic Minuscule in readable
letters at 1/20th of an inch high. Some oldtimers may remember my
small lettering in one body-of-work grouping I did some years back.
Tiny writing was used of necessity in Period books called "sixteenmo".

(Try this site for sizes:  <http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/
dt0434.html>  )

I never had much luck honing down the markers. They just flayed out
and made a mess.

Besides all kinds of "found" feathers, I have also written with other
tools shaped like quills are cut,  Actually, it's kinda fun to see
what I can make into a tool. I have used everything from tongue
depressors and popsicle sticks and bamboo fence trimmings to dry
twigs I picked up, used-up tea bags (mushy, cloud letters), and even
sharpened fingernails! This doesn't count the reverse lettering for
woodblock prints.

Experimenting is very edifying even if it isn't SCA "Period".
Besides, who's to say some monk high from the herb garden didn't try
some weird tools on the sly himself!!  ; - )

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring, Steppes

PS For those who obsess about "ye olde termes" for all kinds of
measurements---
http://www.hemyockcastle.co.uk/measure.htm
Enjoy!!!
Lete