[Scriptoris] Ultra Fine Calig markers or pens

Elizabeth fionnghualathefair at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 11:01:48 PST 2011

M'lady,

If you are looking for a marker, Azel carries a fine point 005 marker. If you are going to need something that fine on a consistent basis, you could invest in a set of drafting pens. The 000 & 0000 pens can have clogging issues though & sometimes require an ultrasonic to clear them. For myself, I have not had much success modifying nibs & all I've ever ended up with is a mess -- the project & myself!

If you modify a nib & are successful, I would be most interested to see your thoughts on the subject posted.

Good luck with your project.

Yours in service,

Lady Fionnghuala the Fair "Nuala"
Barony of the Steppes

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Donald Whitney <dwhitney98 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Vyolante,
>
>  If your going to shape metal nibs like this, you can get a very fine edge using a corrundum nail file - available for $10 at department stores.
> This is similar to the corrundum blocks professional jewelers use to sharpen gravers for engraving on metal, which requires a very fine edge (but the cost is a lot less for the nail file).  If you don't have access to that, you can try 1000 grit or finer sandpaper, but be warned that putting this on a buffing wheel would probably distort the shape you are going for.
>
>  The bifocal headset is ok (especially for detail work and if your going to be doing it for a while - I have 2 sets), but you could also use a jeweler's loupe (10x magnification) to check the nibs.
>
> Silvius, unlettered, but knows a thing or two about metal and rocks
>

>> From: eshc at earthlink.net
>> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:39:15 -0600
>> To: scriptoris at lists.ansteorra.org
>> Subject: Re: [Scriptoris] Ultra Fine Calig markers or pens
>>
>> Gentles, please be kind. You are reading advice from an amnesiac who
>> doesn't even know which age she's in, much less the year!!
>>
>> When I needed a small nib, I would sometimes take a pointed pen nib
>> (like Spencerian writers use) and shape it on a fine hone like knife
>> blades are sharpened with as a next-to-the-final polishing. The steel
>> nib was sharpened in the same way I did large (read "thick") quill
>> ribs, including the bevel at the tip.
>>
>> The bevel and the angle the pen point is held when making a stroke is
>> what makes the fine lines. (Please note: When I sharpened nibs, I
>> used a double lens jewelers bifocal headset that I got at a gem show.
>> It doubles as a nifty help as a splinter-getter-outer.)
>>
>> With those nibs, I have written Humanistic Minuscule in readable
>> letters at 1/20th of an inch high. Some oldtimers may remember my
>> small lettering in one body-of-work grouping I did some years back.
>> Tiny writing was used of necessity in Period books called "sixteenmo".
>>
>> (Try this site for sizes: <http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/
>> dt0434.html> )
>>
>> I never had much luck honing down the markers. They just flayed out
>> and made a mess.
>>
>> Besides all kinds of "found" feathers, I have also written with other
>> tools shaped like quills are cut, Actually, it's kinda fun to see
>> what I can make into a tool. I have used everything from tongue
>> depressors and popsicle sticks and bamboo fence trimmings to dry
>> twigs I picked up, used-up tea bags (mushy, cloud letters), and even
>> sharpened fingernails! This doesn't count the reverse lettering for
>> woodblock prints.
>>
>> Experimenting is very edifying even if it isn't SCA "Period".
>> Besides, who's to say some monk high from the herb garden didn't try
>> some weird tools on the sly himself!! ; - )
>>
>> YIS,
>> HL Lete Bithespring, Steppes
>>
>> PS For those who obsess about "ye olde termes" for all kinds of
> [...]
>>> Vyolante