[Scriptoris] Ultra Fine Calig markers or pens

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 11 17:26:42 PST 2011

Vyolante,

I am also reminded from my dim and misty past of having to double
stroke and fill in the empty space when I had only a monoline marker.
It's like having a monoline marker like a Sharpie or a ballpoint, and
double stroking the letter to give it the "shading'" that broad-edge
pens only can do without help. Maybe you could use one of the
previous email's recommended monoline markers that way.

Think about doing a Versal in which double stroking (for the broad
parts of the letters) is used. and the interior is done in a
different color or has decorations in the "hole". You could do it on
a smaller basis and then fill it in. I would suggest that the second
line should begin inside a  previously done one, so you don't have to
clean up a bump on the outside line, and you can keep the letter's
edges "crisp."

You have to consider the average viewer's distance from your
lettering, like in a book (18") or a wall (3-5 feet). Too thin a thin
dissolves visually if it is at a distance, like on a wall, and that
makes the thicks look chunky. Yuck....  Too thick a "thin" and it
begins to look like "tagging" on railroad cars. For my choices, I
prefer calligraphed letters with thin "thins" and visually moderate
"thicks." Very elegant.

Reproductions, depending on the kind, can shrink to non-existent or
enlarge to disgusting the lines that look good on the original. Test
with a proof copy  before committing to a large ($$$) printing, OK?
Just a little advice from one of the older "monks in the scriptorium"
who only lettered the t-shirts for the visitors.
; - )

Bon chance!
HL Lete