[Scriptoris] Natural pigments question

Jennifer Baker jbaker at portalsweb.com
Tue Jul 19 12:36:36 PDT 2011

Thank you everyone, for your advice and suggestions.

I'm not completely new to charter and scroll painting, but I have always
been a bit intimidated by the idea of using period pigments.  My usual
choice of paints is Winsor-Newton gouche.  Since I got the natural
pigment samples for free, some of the intimidation factor was negated,
but not all, by any means.

I am hoping to make it to the Symposium, if finances allow.  I'm not
sure how helpful
Lord Lemoine de Gascone's class will be for me, as I believe it centers
on actually creating the pigments from dirt - at least if what I have
seen from other sources is correct.

I already have catalogues from John Neal books (and have been
considering getting some pergamenata from them for experimenting with)
and Natural Pigments (www.naturalpigments.com) .

At the moment, finances play a large part in what materials I'm using.
If I'm going to use period pigments, I'd just as soon use period
techniques as well, but for now, experimentation in small doses is all I
can afford to do.

I wish I could sit down with someone on a regular basis and learn from
them, as that's how I learn best, but time, location, and once again
finances, are currently making that difficult at best.  It doesn't help
that I don't really know any scribes outside my barony for the same
reasons.

In Service,
Alicia