[Scriptoris] Natural pigments question

susan calafrancesco scalafrancesco at drakkar.org
Wed Jul 20 05:31:25 PDT 2011

   Refresh my memory, where are you located? I know you are or were in
the Southern region, while I was Southern Regional Scribe.
   I have quite a lot of experience with period pigments. The same kind
of earth pigments that Lord Lemoine de Gascone's uses. I've gotten them
really cheap, already ground and the price is way cheaper than any of
those Windsor-Newton gauches. You only use a very small amount of the
earth and you mix them up as needed. In all of my commissioned scrolls I
have used those earth pigments. So, don't think that earth pigments are
expensive, they are not. In fact, if I were judging a piece and the
artist says that "I used gauche, because it was cheaper than period
pigments", I would deduct points, for not doing the research. Granted
there are a few, and I mean very few pigments which are expensive, but
99.8% of the earth pigments are cheaper than any gauche.
With that said, if you are close enough to me I would be happy to show
you how to mix and use the earth pigments for illuminations as well as
icon (egg tempera) painting. I use the same earth pigments for both,
just change the binder.

Oksana Goncharova