[Scriptoris] King's Champion Original Scroll

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 24 10:18:40 PDT 2011

The following is from http://www.ask.com/wiki/Guild

"Not all city economies were controlled by guilds; some cities were
"free". Where guilds were in control, they shaped labour, production
and trade; they had strong controls over instructional capital, and
the modern concepts of a lifetime progression of apprentice to
craftsman, journeyman, and eventually to widely-recognized master and
grandmaster began to emerge. In order to become a Master, a
Journeyman would have to go on a 3 year voyage called Journeyman
years. This was also known as the Waltz and is the origin of the
Australian song Waltzing Matilda. The practice of the Journeyman
years still exists in Germany."

Fear is because of not being able to figure out something.
Professionals are on that level because they have made the mistakes
at an earlier time and know how to thwart them or, more probably, to
hide them.

Experience will help you get to the point that you can say, "Yeah, I
can do that." Experience comes from DOing the job or OBSERVING
another do the job. I used to stand not over the shoulder of my
national calligraphy master, but directly facing him as he wrote so I
could observe the pressure and hand manipulations of the pen and be
to able to do it like he did. I also listened to the intensity or
lessening of the pressure he put on the pen. I even had him write on
my palm to feel the pressure variances. (But that's just how I chose
to study.) I also loved my watercolor teachers' demonstrations as to
how much water to figure in and which brush to use for what and when,
not to mention all the stuff that goes with making/using media and
the surface on which it is put.

Experience is time filled with practice or the doing of a thing. My
mother, a regional artist, said of a painting failure ( or that SHE
deemed as a failure) as she threw it out, "Well, so much for the
brush practice!"

Knowing your limitations is also a good thing....... if they provide
you with ambitions to overcome them. Mistakes are only to be
considered as part of your learning curve. Don't beat yourself up
about them. Study how to fix them so no one will know they were
corrected.... or a later art historian who puts your work under an x-
ray to see what you corrected!!

YIS,
HL Lete

Remember: Old calligraphers/painters never die, they just lose the
point.---E. Crittenden