[Scriptoris] Some SECRETS for Original Charter designing

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 7 10:09:40 PST 2011

Having designed several charters and scrolls and holding an Iris,
may I offer a prime suggestion for beginning designers?

Leave some space around your art work so it can visually "breathe."
Things look more important when there is an adequate margin between
the artwork and the inside of the framer's mat. Don't be stingy.
(Remember: "Money buys space. The more money spent, the more space
flaunted."--Elaine Crittenden)

If you have made the design, and it looks crowded, go to a copy store
and copy the original at sequentially smaller percentages until you
find one that "works".

Take the copy home, put it face down on your light table, tape it to
your sliding glass patio door, or place it on a glass-top table
Position the "good" paper on it so you will be tracing it on the
wrong  side of the "good" papter, and lightly  (no incised lines
showing on the good side) trace the reverse of the copy on the back
of the "good copy" paper.

Looks like this from the side:

back of the good paper-- trace lines
front of the good paper-- left temporarily blank
back of the copied design paper--blank side
front of the copied design-- inked by copy machine
glass
light source

Make the tracing dark enough that it will show through for you when
you turn it over on the glass to do the "real stuff" on the good
side, the blank one (the xeroxed one having been put in a "save
file"). That way, the tracelines won't show on the front, and they
will be easier to erase off the back. No chance of the erasing's
smearing the finished art  work.

It's a sneaky way of doing it, but unless it's for a hard-nosed,
documented competition, no one cares about how you do things; they
just  remember how well you do things. You want the recipient to be
proud of your work and to give you lasting word-fame (if nothing else
in gratitude!).
; - )

YIS,
HL Lete Bithespring

Maxims:
"Old calligraphers never die, they just lose the point."---- Elaine
Crittenden
"Excellent artists are never offended, because they know how to just
brush things off." ---- Elaine Crittenden
; - )