SR - First Principality Meeting

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Wed Apr 8 16:49:34 PDT 1998

Lorraine said:

>Something that really seemed strange to me is that there were over 200
>people at the event and very few of the people in attendance at the
>meeting were general populace (not Officers, former Officers, SO's of
>Officers,or Hats).
>
>If this is really "of the people..." why weren't more of them there?
>Knowing how opinions flavour the relaying of the outcome, why were
>so many people who could have heard things first hand content to
>hear it second hand...Do they not care???
>
>Lorraine

To which I respond:

I'm not sure what your point is exactly about the 'general populace'...  I
totally disagree with you *if* what you are saying is that the meeting was
entirely populated by hats and peers; some of the most salient points were
made by those with little or no rank at all (Pug, Mffanwy, Christina, Alaric
Styrr, Otter... I could go on).  Tempio (as noted in the attendance record)
had 5 people who stayed through for the entire meeting, but keep in mind,
another dozen or so were cooking your food about 15 feet away, two were on
gate, two were fiddling with listfield stuff for His Majesty, two were
working with children's activities, one was finishing A&S, etc. etc. ad
infinitum ad nauseum.  And speaking of the king, he only stayed for about 20
minutes of the meeting ("It's got nothin to do with me... *shrug*").
Additionally, although many of the people from outside our region did
attend, I know for certain that many did not... I know, because a few from
Oklahoma went to my house to shower.  And how many children were on site, I
wonder?  Seems like I remember one or two;).

On another tack, even if every single person (all 79 who stayed the length
of the meeting) were a triple peer, held a duchy four times over, were
sitting on the BoD at the time, and had played since AS III, they *would
still be members of the populace*.  They cared enough about what was going
on to show up to the meeting.  Somebody has to lead- and I for one don't
care whether you happen to be a member of the Order of the Pink Marmoset or
not as long as you reason your decisions, are thoughtful of others feelings,
and are willing to show up and sweat with the rest of us.

And 79 people ain't chopped liver no matter how you slice it.

Ritter Dieterich