SR - A Regional Event

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Sun Apr 12 16:55:15 PDT 1998

Conor asked:
> > What exactly do we do at a Tribute.  The event name means nothing to
> >me.  Any other ideas?

Timo replied:
> The north has a Northern Regional Tribute every year. Each group takes care
> of one thing.... etc. etc. etc.  All the profits are donated to the kingdom.

The name "Northern Regional Tribute to Ansteorra" came about because
the initial stated purpose of this particular event was to raise
money for the kingdom - every activity was run as a fund raiser.

Originally this was a one-time-only event, but during clean-up on
Sunday, everyone was already asking what they could do for next year.
Rather than dampen enthusiasm, the event continued.  While it's true
that the North ended up raising well over $2,000 profit for the
kingdom at that first event, the money really just ended up being
icing on the cake.  The real reward was having a great deal of fun
and learning to work well together.  I think this is the real reason
(and I think most of the region would agree with me) that this event
goes on.

I can highly recommend regional events as a way to help people
get to know each other and learn to appreciate their neighboring
group's talents.  I don't necessarily think an event like this has to
be a fund raiser, but a common goal really does serve as a rallying
point for all the groups.  It makes what everyone does (whether it's
supplying the privies with toilet paper or, sitting gate through the
night, or cooking a feast) of equal importance with respect to the
overall scheme of things.  I definitely think that was the largest
contributing factor in "Tribute's" success.

Personally, I think that with the enthusiasm for a principality being
what it is in the South, that would be the obvious motivator for such
an event.  If I were to make any suggestions to people trying to
organize an event like "Tribute" (where everyone is involved), it
would have to be to appoint a good "home-base" group to serve as the
organizational center.  This group would be responsible for securing
the kingdom calendar date, locating a site and finding a good
coordinating autocrat to organize the participation of the other
groups.

If it would help, I'm sure that anyone thinking about coordinating
such an event could contact the person who created and organized the
first (and many subsequent) Northern Region Tribute - Bs. Gitana de
Castile (hlgitana at aol.com).  While a very experienced autocrat can
coordinate an event of this size, there are many things about this
kind of event that were found to be different from organizing
run-of-the-mill "regional" events - especially in the area of how to
handle income, expenses and reimbursements.  I'm sure Gitana would be
happy to offer suggestions or answer questions, if needed.

Hope this helps!

- HRH  Kat
Lori Campbell
lcampbel at ossm.edu