SR - Naming the Region

clward at mmm.com clward at mmm.com
Mon Apr 13 12:45:53 PDT 1998

As usal, if my ::GUNNORA:: signature is missing from the bottom, then the
mailer ate my message.

Tivar had suggested using "Cibola" as a region or principality name.  In a
similar vein, looking at the Spanish heritage of this area of the world, Mari
ferch Rathyen had several very good ideas about naming the region which I am
passing along for her.

Mari pointed out that San Compostella derives from the Spanish "Campo Estella"
or "Field of Stars" and suggests an analogue, Campoleon "Field of the Lion."
This is her favorite name pick.  I like it as well, and would be pleased to see
it in Spanish (reflective of the heritage of South Texas) but I'd be happy with
it in any other language also, for instance Lyonwald or Leowald, perhaps.

Mari had sopme more ideas based on the "Compostella" construction.  One is
Compocorazon (a more Spanish construction) or Composcora (a Spanish derivation
from a Latin original "Campus Cora"), "Field of the Heart".

Hearking back to Tivar's suggestion, Mari is concerned about the phonetic
similarity of "Cibola" and "Ebola" - as in the deadly virus.  Instead, to keep
the same image, Mari suggested El Dorado or, if that's too famous to use, then
perhaps Campodorado (Field of Gold) or even just Dorado.

I'd like to possibly follow this line of suggestion with Campozul (Field of
Blue) thinking here of the solid swathes of bluebonnets on the roadsides
throughout Texas.  This would allow use of the bluebonnet as a badge.

Keeping with this theme, another idea suggested by Mari would be Compospina
(from Spanish espina, "spine, thorn" - there may be a better word, perhaps
zumbido or pegatina, but I'm unsure as to how the compound would be
constructed) or perhaps Thornwald, "Field of Thorns", and then use a seme' of
caltrops in the principality arms -- South Texas being well known for the fact
that if it doesn't have spines, then it bites!  After the Lion names, "Field of
Thorns" is my favorite!

This list then is:

TIVAR
Cibola (possible armory could involve seven towers on a field, representing the
fabled Seven Cities, plus the seven Southern Groups as listed by Tivar)