SR - Awards and such

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Apr 13 20:53:11 PDT 1998

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Lori Campbell <LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu> wrote:
> for those of you who are curious about principalities, what
> the officers do, what kind of awards they have, etc. & how
> they operate, you might try reading some of the following
> information ...

I'd like to consider the larger question of awards and
orders.

For what the UKoGBaI did, my source is _A Manual of
Heraldry_ by Sir Francis J. Grant, reprinted but it was
clearly written before full Irish independence (and probably
before 1922).  Since Irish independence and loss of the
Empire caused some orders to be closed, I therefore suspect
that this is the largest number of orders that existed in
the UK at any one time.  I'd appreciate more modern info.

The OP at the back lists 10 orders for an empire of hundreds
of millions of people.  Nowadays, with S. Patrick, Star of
India, and OIE gone (and possibly others), that's <= 7
different orders for 60 million people.  -- Now, I'll grant
you that some of those orders have levels.  Bath,
St. Michael and St. George, RVO, and OBE have Knights Grand
Cross / Commanders, Knights Commanders, and Companions; the
RVO adds the Fourth and Fifth Classes too; the OBE has
Members too.  If you want to consider that 19 active orders
instead, you may.  For comparison, I will.

Next to them I'll list the Ansteorran ones I know of.

UNITED KINGDOM                             ANSTEORRA
==============                             =========
Garter                                     Centurions of the Sable Star
Bath: KGC                                  Compass Rose
Bath: KC                                   Iris of Merit
Bath: C                                    King's Gauntlet
St. Michael and St. George: KGC            Lions of Ansteorra
St. Michael and St. George: KC             Queen's Glove
St. Michael and St. George: C              Queen's Rapier
Royal Victorian Order: KGC                 Sable Comet
Royal Victorian Order: KC                  Sable Crane
Royal Victorian Order: C                   Sable Falcons
Royal Victorian Order: 4th                 Sable Thistle
Royal Victorian Order: 5th                 Star of Merit
Order of the British Empire: KGC           White Scarf
Order of the British Empire: KC            Crown's Favor*
Order of the British Empire: C             King's Archer*
Order of the British Empire: Officers      Rising Star*
Order of the British Empire: Members       Sable Garland*
Distinguished Service Order
Imperial Service Order
(St. Patrick)                              (Ascending Star)
(Star of India: KGC)                       (Gilded Thorn)
(Star of India: KC)                        (Motley Shash)
(Star of India: C)                         (Pillars)
(Order of the Indian Empire: KGC)          (Ring Thegn)
(Order of the Indian Empire: KC)           (*Madonnas)
(Order of the Indian Empire: C)            (Aristotelis Descipuli)

*: unregistered, or not registered to Ansteorra
(The parenthesized ones are either closed or not awarded any
more.)

The box scores:

UNITED KINGDOM                             ANSTEORRA
==============                             =========
open + closed w/ levels = 26               open + closed = 24
open w/ levels          = 19               open = 17
open w/o levels         = 7

    My lord and ladies, I put it to you that, in comparison to
the United Kingdom, Ansteorra has a problem of award proliferation.

 I believe that in objective terms we have too many awards.
  I will give my ideas on that in a further mail message,
            as applicable to a new principality.

(Trimaris, Meridies, and some others have a *big* problem.
Da'ud says he'd like to move to Trimaris one day because
he'd immediately qualify for three awards just due to
residency.  Anyway, that's *their* problem.)

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.