SR - Let's get started!

Conor mac Cinneide carcassonnais at geocities.com
Fri Apr 10 18:34:37 PDT 1998

I will only comment on the French ones.

On Friday, April 10, 1998 12:55 AM, Tim McDaniel [SMTP:tmcd at crl.com]
wrote:
> I looked up some (possibly- or near-) period mottos from Bedingfeld
> and
> Gwynn-Jones, _Heraldry_.  If anyone can translate any of them, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> p. 28: Il faut Faire, < 1433/44, "It is necessary to do", Sir John
> Fastolf

A more correct translation would be "One must do."  Obviously a spur
to action.

Okay, how about, "Il faut faire comme les heros."  "One must do like
the heroes"

> p. 59: Hic [ich] dien, 14th C., "I serve", Philippa of Hainault

This is the motto of Edward, the Black Prince

Okay, so it isn't French, but I know  a lot about the Black Prince.

> p. 40: De mieulx en mieulx, 1573, ?, William Paston of Paston

>From better to better, more like the English "things are getting
better and better."

That's the only three I can help with for right now.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo