SR - office titles, Treasurer

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Apr 13 14:08:26 PDT 1998

Her Highness, Kat, wrote:
> The "period" sounding titles we assign just make them less intrusive to us.

Yabbut I prefer to use more-accurate-but-modern-sounding instead
of sounds-forsooth-but-not-accurate.

"The treasurer took the beer cans to the car" is a
period-style sentence (modulo spelling) and the concepts
aren't even that far off.  The cans wouldn't be 12
oz. cylinders, the car would not have an engine etc., but
same basic idea.

I'm not a "troll".  The average 12th-to-19th century
Englishman wouldn't even know what it was.  I'm a gate
guard, a gate keeper, a porter, whatever.

*Children are period* (many produced with techniques still
used today!).  Generally, the person in charge of the feast
was the head cook.  The steward might be in charge of a
tourney and associated activities, or the master of the
revels.

If we *can* use a period term in a reasonably-accurate
manner, then by all means go for it!  "Marshal" instead of
"athletic director".  "Kingdom seneschal" rather than
"regional vice-president".  But I want to use the period
terms that are more accurate, regardless of how plain they
may sound.

Daniel "I'm a computer: I can add and subtract quite
easily" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.