SR - office titles, Treasurer

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 13 14:10:20 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Daniel replies to my:
>> Incidentally, the initial comment that sparked this was, "Treasurer is the
>> period term."  This statement is incorrect.  "Treasurer" is no more
>> *period* than "reeve."

>Oh, hooey.  You're conflating "is period" with "is *the*
>period term" (my emphasis).  There are several period terms
>for people or offices which deal with money in various ways.
>"Treasurer" is more "portable", if you will.

Now Daniel, you cut off the rest of my comments.  I'm not conflating
squat--he said exactly what I quoted.  I admitted--by way of correcting the
original poster's misinformation--that "reeve" is an inappropriate term for
the Keeper of Funds and Financial Records.  My argument was with the
original claim, which states not that "reeve" is inappropriate but that it
isn't "period."

For my next trick, I will demonstrate that "period" is not an adjective,
thereby rendering this argument entirely spurious.

In other words, Daniel:    :-b

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel (whose rebuttal is brought to you by the number google and the
words "squat" and "spurious") Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist