SR - Passing on insignia

Michael A. Scofield ivarcat at juno.com
Mon Aug 3 22:45:38 PDT 1998

Dieterich wrote:

<SNIP>

>How do the rest of you feel about it?
>
>Ritter Dieterich

I have passed on ALL of the insignia I received for all of the awards I
have gotten except for the Iris (and I'm waiting for the right person)
and the Pelicans. I got three at my ceremony, and bought another, and
I'll probably pass them on but only when it seems very right. Two of them
were made specifically for me by very dear friends and it will take a
very special person and moment for either of them to leave my hand. The
bought one is rather expensive and my Lady would probably kill me if I
gave it away to anyone, but her. But that is what makes passing on the
insignia so special, the history and the emotions attached to the token.
I've bought or made insignia to replace the ones I passed on, but
something comes up and those get passed on, it is a never ending process.
I have had people make insignia for me since they saw me pass on
something, those I try to keep, but if the moment is there I will pass
them on, with credit given to the maker.

Mass produced tokens take on much meaning, but only  because they are
given by the Crown of this Kingdom. A passed down insignia means more,
for the very reasons that Ritter Dieterich gave, they mean a person of
that order thinks you are worthy.

Ivar