SR - naming - comets -Reply

Norman White gn-white at tamu.edu
Thu Aug 20 13:10:53 PDT 1998

Jin Liu Ch'ang here,

Wolf wrote regarding comets:
>comment ... before anyone makes suggestion to use >the comet image name, i would consider it very ill >advised to consider nameing something after what is >essentiall a "death star" (in deep human mythology >all around the planet ...) ...

I agree.  In China, the birthplace of my exiled persona, comets were thought to foretell the end of dynasties.  If you wanted to start a revolution and felt that you needed to legitimatize yourself, you would tell stories of seeing comets and mention any floods or earthquakes which had occurred lately as proof that the gods had withdrawn the mandate of heaven from the present dynasty.

On another note about names, the English translation for the characters which are used for the name of China is Middle Kingdom, which makes the use of dragons by the SCA Middle Kingdom very interesting.

Jin Liu Ch'ang
a.k.a. Norman White
gn-white at tamu.edu