SR - Naming the region

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Aug 19 14:03:04 PDT 1998

Amber wrote:
> How about Amerinda. In homage to the American Indian.

I wish I had more time at the moment to reply -- I fear that this
reply will come out sounding snippy or short, and that's not my intent
at all.  I'm just trying to show a basic idea for getting a period name.

One of the requirements for principality status is a name registered
with the SCA College of Arms.  The SCA CoA Rules for Submission has
(RfS I):

1. a. Compatible Content - All submissions shall be period in
content. Each element of a submission shall be compatible with
period usage.

1. b. Compatible Style - All submissions shall be period in style.
All elements of a submission shall be used in a manner that is
stylistically compatible with period usage.

Chopping off parts of words and running together the result is, I
believe, at best a 19th Century technique (Searoco: Sears, Roebuck,
and Company).  Nor can I think of a language in which "Amerinda" would
be a place name, though I could be wrong.

Modern names can be made up of arbitrary words, sounds, or even
letters.  I do not know of any period culture where that was done.

It is far more productive to look at the sorts of names that were used
in period and constructing names based on those patterns.  Cariadoc of
the Bow has an analogy: the reverse is like getting dinner by
generating an address, trying to find it on a map, and driving there
in hopes of finding a restaurant there.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;