SR - Naming the region

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Aug 19 15:27:44 PDT 1998

On 19 Aug 98, at 12:58, Dean, Jenice A. wrote:

>  How about Amerinda. In homage to the American Indian.

might be a more than a bit controversial ... many native americans do not
like the term "amerindian".  they consider themselves the origional
custodians of the continent (even though their ancestors walked here from
asia at end of the last ice age and spread out to fill the continent), they do
not much care for the caucasians coming back yet-again (some interseting
theories there) and laying claim / renaming the continent after a european
explorer ...

there's always the bronze age irish name for america "iargleann" (old irish
sp?) ... translation i was given was "land beyond the sunset" (ie: the land in
the far west)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves