SR - Some Thoughts on Names

Paul KieferJr rapierman at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 18:16:56 PDT 1998

"Martin, Brian" <bmartin at origin.ea.com> wrote:

>....real place names tend to be somewhat descriptive >either of the
land or its people.

Which brings up a point I wanted to make.

Pendaran was right in that respect.  Describe the people, and you've
got a name of some sort.

This point was also made during one of BG's fighter practice sessions.
 A person said that we lacked an identity of some sort.  Why?

The answer was simple, obvious, and I ought to shoot myself for not
seeing it.  Are we all the same?  No.  We're all a mish-mash of
several different cultures from several different time periods, all
playing the same game.  Early period Celts lumped together with
mid-period English lumped with late- or slightly past-period
Rennaisance French lumped in with.....well, you get the idea.

So, I attacked the problem from a different angle.  What was the
common denominator in all this?

Then, suddenly, it hits me like a bolt from the blue!  Each culture
has done its own share of exploring!  Each culture has looked into its
own version of a "new world"!

So, I decided that perhaps we should try for some language variant of
the phrase "new world", because we're all in a sort of "new world",
where each culture mixes and matches until it becomes more
"homogeneous".

So, if someone can put together some variants, I think that might be
an ideal start for a new regional / principality name.

Just a thought.

Lord Johann Kiefer Hayden  (Paul E. Kiefer, Jr.)