SR - Some Thoughts on Names

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Thu Aug 20 22:40:03 PDT 1998

On 20 Aug 98, at 18:16, Paul KieferJr wrote:

> Pendaran was right in that respect.  Describe the people, and you've
> got a name of some sort.

ahhh , understanding ... a cool breeze to relieve "that which must be
endured" ... (g)

> So, I attacked the problem from a different angle.  What was the
> common denominator in all this?

a point i like to keep bringing up ... find the commonalities and you find as
basis for community, find the diffreneces and you build walls that divide and
isolate ....

> Then, suddenly, it hits me like a bolt from the blue!  Each culture
> has done its own share of exploring!  Each culture has looked into its own
> version of a "new world"!
>
> So, I decided that perhaps we should try for some language variant of the
> phrase "new world", because we're all in a sort of "new world", where each
> culture mixes and matches until it becomes more "homogeneous".
>
> So, if someone can put together some variants, I think that might be
> an ideal start for a new regional / principality name.

while most don't want celtic (keltoi) ... personally, don't understand why ..
"Iargleann" ("land beyond the sunset") always resonated well ...note: better
spelling available when i can ge to my library

the exploration thread works well, especially considering self as being a
proponent of the theory of european bronze-age contact with the new world
by the deep-water traders ....

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves