SR - Some Thoughts on Names

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Thu Aug 20 21:14:50 PDT 1998

Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> Pendaran had a fine note about period names.  He suggested
> "Land of the Southerners" or something along those lines.

"Tierra del Sur" would be "Land of the South."  I can't find it to
verify the construction, but I think "Southerner" would be "Surano"--so
"Land of the Southerners" would be "Tierra de los Suranos."

I can't seem to lay hands on my OE stuff--but "Su{dh}cynn" would be
"South folks/south people" (The Anglo-Saxons referred to themselves as
Anglecynn, for instance).

I'm getting to a wall--like others have expressed, it'd be nice to have
a name that sounds "real" but sounds more like a region than a town.
Those types of names--Sussex, Andalusia, Bordeaux, Northumbria, to name
a few--spring from a source I can't seem to identify except in the
"tribal name" sense. Any suggestions of where to go with some research?

AElfwyn