SR - Re: Lionsmouth? (fwd)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Thu Aug 20 22:40:04 PDT 1998

On 20 Aug 98, at 23:03, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> > When it comes to rivers I'm all at sea; my vague impression is that
> > river names tend to be older than other geographical names and they tend
> > to be of mysterious origin and derivation.
>
> This is correct.  One can go a bit further and say that in those cases in
> which we're able to determine the etymology [derivation] of an old
> hydronym ["water name"] ....

thanks for a new word ... being a water-sign, i like it!

> with any confidence, it tends to be something like
> 'water' or descriptive in a straightforward way ('dark', 'noisy', etc.).

while the surface water of the region is copious (and overly managed and
contained ... frown), the true wealth of the region is in the aquifers .. "deep
water", "hidden water", "dark water" (?) ... perhaps connected to "spring"
concept mentioned earlier

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves