SR - First-round polling?

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Dec 7 09:25:32 PST 1998

Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> wrote:
> 1) Define active.

No, I refuse, primarily because of the difficult cases: "I live
outside, but I play mostly inside", "I live inside, but I go over
there to play", "I'm new; what am I supposed to do with this again?",
"Interesting newsletter ... but I'm not really active any more".
I think the criteria should be just whether you yourself consider
yourself "active" or "playing" in the South, and if it's a difficult
case, wrestle with your concience and vote on your honor.

> 2) I don't think we should do any polling outside of the Region since
>    this has nothing to do with a principality. Either this is about the
>    Region or this is about a Principality. You can't have both at this
>    stage without mucking the waters.

Um.  A hit, a palpable hit!

> I think people might have misunderstood this part. People don't vote
> for 5 names. They vote for all they want, and the top 5 receiving
> votes go on to the next round.

Yes, that's what I meant.  For SF fans, this is like nominating for
the Hugo Awards, except that you're presented with a list of
possibilities rather than just listing your own.  (We have a technical
difficulty that the Hugos don't have: they have a fixed list of
possibilities each year, the works eligible in each category in the
past year.)

> This can be fixed. Is there a problem that I should address or just a
> personal preference?

Just a personal preference / suggestion.  O, and don't forget to
number them!

> If you wish to address this, you could do an inverse ranking system.
> Have 1-3 with Like, Wouldn't Mind, Would Consider. The numbers would be
> weighted backwards and then tallied.

Might be better to go with the preference ballot mechanism, then.

> This certainly could be the case, but if we are talking language
> differences of a single concept

I didn't notice much of that.  I was thinking of the various Campo-
and Lowen- names, for example, or the lion-based names in general,
where people might like one element and not care about the rest.  I'm
afraid the final feast menu might be Lion Stew, Lion Broth, Lion
Bar-B-Q, Lion Frickasee, and Chicken Fried Lion, and that's not really
much of a variety or choice.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;