SR - Re: ANST - principalities, populace, and percentages

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Feb 24 06:33:01 PST 1998

This is posted to the Ansteorra and Southern Ansteorra lists.

Mike C. Baker said something that sounded like:
> Matter of symbology, Pug. Came up in the recent Central Region
> discussions, too:

Yes, I know.

> kinda hard for folks to get together behind a
> pedestrian "XXXXXX Region" name -- and according to past decisions,
> regions are not currently permitted to formally register a name or
> device (at least as the matter has been explained to me).

  Okay. This is something I've thought of, and if I remember right, is
  sorta how Ansteorra got started. As well, it *might* alleviate some of
  the issues and concerns that people have.

  There is something in Corpora called a Province. This is listed with
  Baronies, but the description is such that I think it would work as a
  proto-Principality. I do not know enough about Society Law to know if
  it would be allowed for a Province to contain Baronies though.

  It reads:

----
Baronies and Provinces. Baronies and provinces are large branches within
  and subject to the administration of a kingdom (and principality, if
  any). They are alike in status and in the ability to administer other
  branches within their borders, but differ in that baronies possess
  ceremonial representatives appointed by the Crown and therefore have the
  ability to create and administer awards, while provinces do not. (See
  VII.B.4.) A branch or contiguous group of branches may petition for
  baronial or provincial status at the members' option, subject to the
  approval of the Crown and (if applicable) the Coronet, if the resulting
  entity meets the requirements listed below.
----

  This seems that it could be a group that can have device, name, and
  officers that are working to better it. The only things it wouldn't
  have are the ceremonial leaders and awards that a Principality would
  give it. (Yes, this is a lot, but we can survive for the short term
  without them.)

  I think this would be a good way to test if the people of the region
  can truly get behind something, while not putting too much fear into
  those who dread splitting off. It also let's you get the kinks out of
  the administrative offices before running off at full speed trying to
  support a new Principality.

  Just a thought that I like more and more as I think about it.

Ciao,