SR - p heraldry

ldaude at ns.vvm.com ldaude at ns.vvm.com
Tue Feb 24 08:09:47 PST 1998

In a previous message Gunnora made a most excellent point about lions
and that the we award our very best with the title of Lion of
Ansteorra.  For exactly that reason I am somewhat opposed to lions in
a principality device.  It is my belief that we might run the risk of
losing something very special in the plethera of principality awards
which we would begin naming after various body parts of lions.  I
would not want to lose a Lion of Ansteorra  somewhere in a morass of
orders dealing with claws, manes, tails, and back molars.  I was
living in the principality of the Outlands when we began to name all
of our awards after every known part of a deer; so please do not say
that it could not happen to us.  It would be terrible to hear
residents of other kingdoms saying amongst themselves, " Lion of
Ansteorra,  everyone is a lion somethingoranother over there".

Also , I have to agree with Sir Lyonel about the door knocker look.
Can you imagine our principality arms looking like something from
Scrooge's front door.  Ghastly!