SR - doughnut holes

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 21 18:54:36 PST 1998

Eule wrote:
>Historically, when a group decides to advance to Principality status, it
>is with the goal of becoming a Kingdom within 2-3 years (i.e. the
>Principality of Ansteorra lasted only a couple of years).  There are,
>however, exceptions (i.e. the Principality of the Sun has been around
>almost as long as I've been active in the SCA).
>
>Curious....why do you "not see us as a separate Kingdom in 5 or 10
>years"?

Just for comparison sake, Artemisia was a principality for *10* years
before her first coronation, just this past summer. To answer your question
of why some of us don't necessarily see us becoming a kingdom in 5 or 10
years, well, at this point there's just no real reason to make it a goal.
There may never be any reason to become our own kingdom. Ansteorra's a
great place, and I for one would be loath to part with my association with
the prodigious Laurel circle Ansteorra boasts, as well as association with
other kinsmen within our borders.  Frankly, that's one of the reasons why
us making a principality here at this time is such a wonderful idea. We
have a golden opportunity to build this big, glorious thing *just for the
pure joy of doing so.* Unlike some other examples of principalities
forming, we're *not* suffering from neglect due to geographical isolation
from the rest of the kingdom; we're *not* experiencing negative political
fallout from opposing and rending philosophical differences with the rest
of the kingdom; we're *not* being encouraged to "move away" and go play by
ourselves because we're cramping the rest of the kindgom's style. In fact,
I can't think of a more ideal situation in which to create a principality.
Just think about that. That's *really* cool. And if I might refer back to
Artemisia for just a moment, the situation in which she was created was
less-than-ideal, yet it ended up being an overall positive and productive
move and  and fairly smooth process. Just think how strong and sure *our*
step can be,  given the advantage of our happier, more stable situation.

Aquilanne

Dory Grace--The Inkwell
denouncer of Tytyvylus & warrior crone
amazing at mail.utexas.edu