SR - Sunsteor, Land of Lions

Steve Hemphill hemphill at io.com
Mon Feb 23 22:15:15 PST 1998

Dennis and/or Dory Grace wrote:

> Don Eule opines:
>
> >Historically, when a group decides to advance to Principality status,
> it
> >is with the goal of becoming a Kingdom within 2-3 years (i.e. the
> >Principality of Ansteorra lasted only a couple of years).  There are,
>
> >however, exceptions (i.e. the Principality of the Sun has been around
>
> >almost as long as I've been active in the SCA).
>
> Forgive me, midon, but you are mistaken.  Ansteorra, like Meridies,
> Calontir, and Drachenwald, all needed to split away from their
> kingdoms
> because those kingdoms were huge and unwieldy.  This is not the only
> reason
> for forming a principality, however.  Artemisia and Aethelmearc became
>
> principalities because they wanted to add some pomp and ceremony to
> their
> lives, not in order to become kingdoms.  Both remained principalties
> for
> nearly a decade.  The Principalities of Cynagua, Oertha, the Mists,
> and
> Lochac all achieved principality status before Aethelmearc or
> Artemisia.
> While both Oertha and Lochac are likely to one day split off as
> separate
> kingdoms (both are quite a ways from their kingdoms' centers), neither
>
> Cynagua nor the Mists will likely *ever* appeal for kingdom status.
> The
> Principality of the Sun, incidentally, is no more; it was dissolved as
>
> redundant when Artemisia became a separate kingdom.

Pardon.....I misspoke.What I actually intended to suggest was that it
has been my opinion (as you noted, even though I did not!) that if we
(the SCA, not Ansteorra) were to create a Principality, it should be
with the goal of becoming a Kingdom within  2-3 years.  It is also my
opinion (others may vary and are certainly more than welcome), that
becoming a Principality is a necessary bureaucratic step on the road to
becoming a Kingdom.  As a separate point, I was pointing out that the P.
of Ansteorra existed for approx. 2 years....didn't mean to actually
connect the two (I know...I used i.e. incorrectly!)  As to the reasons
*why* the other Principalities chose to do what they did, I stand
corrected (I must confront my sources, now).  I also miss-wrote
concerning the P. of the Sun.  I did know that they were dissolved and
was always concerned that there really weren't any "Kingdom of the
Outlands" to speak of (so to speak)!

> >Curious....why do you "not see us as a separate Kingdom in 5 or 10
> >years"?
>
> I don't know about the individual you're querying, but I don't see it
> because I like the kingdom we have.  Sir Conor, Sir Dieterich, and
> Mistress
> Aquilanne (among others) have expressed the desire to form a Southern
> Principality primarily for the sheer enjoyment of a new level of pomp
> and
> ceremony.  I concur.

As do I.  I asked the question of Sir Conor as I was curious, not as a
challenge, btw.

> We don't want to break from Ansteorra; we want to enrich her.

A Noble endeavor which I have completely supported for the past 18 years
(and hope to continue!).

Sitting in the corner, reading my 1st grade grammar book (maybe I should
attend one of your classes, Lyonel)....... ;)
Eule von Haginbald
mka Steve Hemphill