SR - The Naming

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Feb 24 22:18:35 PST 1998

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Rollie W. Reid
<carcassonnais at geocities.com> wrote:
> Occitan works good for me too. (Lo Isla des Collinas?)

Lyonel suggested the form "Las Colinas".  I'm afraid that I
immediately think of a northern suburb of Dallas, one with
bronze quadrupeds in a fountain.

> Maybe something like St. Ragnar's Land, with Ragnar as our
> patron saint(I know it won't fly offically, so lay off).

Well, not as an official patron saint necessarily.  But
there was a Saint Olaf after all, and sainthood was rather
an informal process in most areas thru a lot of period, so I
see no problem with a hypothetical Saint Ragnar, if those
that knew him think the allusion or association wouldn't be
offensive.  There are certainly SCA branches named after
saints, such as the College of Saint Katherine in the West.

(I understand from the Academy of S. Gabriel that "S." is to
be preferred over "St." as an abbreviation.  I could find
out details if anyone cares.)

> I think we have found a motto though. Somebody needs to
> translate it into Latin, or Norse.  Or how about French.
> "Comme fait les Heros" (Like Heros do).

I mentioned my notion about an imperative form.

Norse I dunno in an armorial context, but German ("ich
dien"), Latin, and French were certainly used in period
mottos in achievements of arms: for the last, consider "honi
soit qui mal y pense".

Danielis "translated: 'if you believe that evil, I have some
beachfront land in Mali for you'" Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.