SR - Lions and Eagles and Boars, Oh My!

Jodi McMaster jmcmaste at accd.edu
Wed Feb 25 15:30:04 PST 1998

At 11:12 PM 2/24/98 -0600, Daniel wrote:

>Some of the more common Norse-based suffixes (or those
>English ones with Norse cognates):
>-fell: fiall, fjeld; a mountain, a hill, a wild stretch of
>    waste hill land, a moorland ridge
>-thwaite: pveit, pveiti; a piece of land, a paddock (lit. a
>    piece cut off, a piece 'thwited' or whittled off)

Following up on the Ragnar theme, I rather like "Ragnarsfell" or
"Ragnarsfiall" as the definitions _could_ appropriately describe the mix of
geographical features of the various sections of the proposed principality
(and also sound pretty cool).  "Ragnarsthwaite" sounds rather unusual to me
(which always has a certain appeal) and also is descriptive of the process
(although "cut off" may sound stronger than anyone intends).

Daniel, were those really p's or are they thorns?

AElfwyn