SR - Poll results!

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 28 10:30:11 PST 1998

Dieterich wrote:
> how to conduct a more complete and valid polling

Danial wrote:
I think that's premature.  Better to talk for a while
about group issues, raising and lowering issues.

Dieter wrote:
>> So let me get this straight... you want to get peoples opinions so that we
>> can get peoples opinions?  After having informally already gotten their
>> opinions to give us an idea on whether or not it was a good idea to get
>> their opinions?  When does this end?

and Pug answered:
>As someone has already pointed out, the demographics of the people on
>the net is not a good cross-section of the populace at large.
>
>There are so many people we have not reached, that I would rather have a
>couple meetings to bang out the concerns of those who haven't heard this
>issue been beat to death until it walked again.

I think Dieter and Daniel just kind of got their wires crossed; they're
both essentially talking about the same thing, which is essentially the
same thing you're talking about, and that's, well, talking.  ;->  Dieterich
did the straw pole just to get an idea of what *one* cross section of
Ansteorra thought (btw, how "good" that cross-section is has not been
determined, nor do I think it can be determined until compared to an actual
populace poll; also, a good third of the poll responses were by phone, not
email, and the proportions of responses were roughly the same.)

So, in the spirit of engendering discussion amongst our ether-less friends,
Sir Dieterich is going to send out flyers to all the Southern seneschals,
so everybody can be talking. I'm sure it'll come up for us at our next
meeting, Kief will bring it up at Ravensfort, Mari will bring it up at
Bjornsborg, Jovian's from Tempio, so I know it'll get brought up there.
Dieterich said he got responses from Middleford and Shadowlands, so some of
them are on line and know to bring the topic up;  Ffynnon Gath, well, I
guess we'll just have to give Cory a call. Overall, I don't think anyone's
likely to get left out of the opportunity to traumatize the immortally
mortal hooved beastie. ;->

>If on the other hand, you simply meant to start more organized discussions
>and not to actually start the petitions and paperwork, I'm all for it.
>Unfortunately this was not how I read it the first time, so I was a bit
>shocked.

I think some folk are just a little gun shy about this issue after the last
debacle from above. Yes, we're going to have discussions; probably many of
them, and that's just the way I like to see it, personally. Knowlege good,
ignorance bad. ;->

>After this, we can start looking at the official bureaucratic BS. We don't
>even know what is involved with the paperwork at this point in time.
>
>Btw, unless someone more respectable and well-known steps forward, I will
>volunteer to gather information and put the proposal together regarding a
>larger Principality. I don't know if I feel comfortable enough to get in
>front of that size group to present it, but I'll certainly do it. (Yes,
>I have stage fright.)

I don't remember if I mentioned this before (damned rebellious brain
cells), but Burke is supposed to be sending me a paperwork packet
containing all the forms and information as to how to make a Principality.
If it's not a towering sheaf of dead trees, I'll scan it in and email
copies to whoever's interested. I'd be happy to make sure all the
seneschals have copies as well. This is an important step. We need to
educate ourselves as fully as possible so we can properly educate others.
The more we know, the better off we are.

Aquilanne

Dory Grace--The Inkwell
denouncer of Tytyvylus & warrior crone
amazing at mail.utexas.edu