SR - Southern regional cohesiveness

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 2 06:00:57 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Lord Eirik says:

>    I will preface the following by saying that I will not  see any replies
>because I am going out of state. However I hope that I spark  some
>discussion about the way that we see each other.   I play in the SCA
>because it's fun. No matter what  happens with the principality issue, I
>will still play because it's fun.  However, I feel that certain issues need
>to be addressed.   First of all, I live at the same house as the seneschal
>of Middleford; she uses my e-mail address, yet we never heard anything
>about the  southern regional fighter practice until I talked to my regional
>deputy after  she returned from that practice. It was posted here that  all
>the seneschals were called and told about it.

Funny, I don't remember anyone making that claim.  I put together the
Southern Regional Fighter Practice; it was my idea.  I contacted fighters
from most of the groups in the region (including the regional marshal) and
posted a few items to the mailing list.  This was not an *official*
function, it was mine.  I was happy with the results and decided to do the
same again every month in a different group.

I'm sorry if you felt slighted, but I knew of no fighters in Middleford.
If you have anyone there not on the list who is interested in chivalric
combat, give me their phone numbers.  I'll be happy to contact them in the
future.

>There  is still problem with
>the flow of information and it needs to change if people  wish this effort
>to succeed.

We realize that we have communication problems. Perhaps you could suggest
some solutions?

>Secondly there is a kingdom event being held by  Middleford
>during August, Academy of the Bow. How many people have volunteered  their
>support for this event?? If we are going to show regional cohesiveness and
>support each other, then supporting a Kingdom event put on by a group in
>the  Southern region should see a lot of support and attendence from the
>rest of the  Southern region.

How many folk from Middleford supported Kingdom Dance and Music?  I'm sorry
if this offends you, but I have no interest in Academy of the Bow.  As for
the repeated requests to hold a principality meeting at Academy of the Bow,
we already have two more meetings planned--one at Shadowlands Roundtable
and a tea at Gothic Wars.  I can't claim to speak for *all* of the region,
but I don't think we need another meeting at this time.

>Because this is an archery event, there
>probably won't be much  attendence other than archers.

That's certainly part of the problem.

>The Autocrat told us
>tonight during our populace  meeting that he had sent e-mail messages
>throughout the Kingdom asking for  instructors to teach classes. He has
>received one reply. If we had regional cohesiveness, we would have had a
>lot of help from our region.

No.  If I put on an event dedicated to two-sword combat, I would expect a
small turn-out.  If I couldn't get the support of other two-sword fighters
in the region, I would assume the fault was mine, not the region's.
Regional cohesiveness won't make an uninteresting event more interesting.
With any event, you have to determine what your audience will be and then
cater to that audience.  If you're not getting any responses, perhaps
you're asking the wrong questions or the wrong people or both.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace