SR - thoughst on physical border demarcations ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Jul 3 09:16:11 PDT 1998

on the matter of the nature of borders some concepts to consider .....

first let me state that i'm all in favor of organic borders having a love for
"fractals" and understanding that they better describe nature and process i
urge using fractal-based  objects to demarcate the new (if they happen)
political coundaries.  in nature they grow from the individual and are driven
by process (chaos) until they reach boundaries (much like the principality
movement)

straight lines don't happen in nature ... they are imposed by man and man's
politics.  consider the boundaries of the states (or our regions on the map
of ansteorra) ... the most pleasing ones are the ones that use natural
demarcations - rivers, mountain ranges, coastlines (all "period" for this
discussion) and look much better and feel more organic / natural.  they
better reflect the fact that politics is really about the will of the people (on
this continent).  lines on the other hand imply that they are imposed by
authority and stand out as barriers that seperate.

try this experiment, take the map of ansteorra as it know exists and is
published online and look at it.  as it now sits the regional system is clearly
something that was imposed from without.  it implies control, boundaries
and seperations between the groups.  this is not what the pro principlaity
folk want and what many of the con faction fear.  now redraw those
boundaries using the natural land features, step back and look at it with
clear eye's.  it's a lot less imposing, no?

if it all happend, i would suggest that once the groups decide in / out that
everyone sit down and find *natural* demarcations for the map-makers.  i
know it's a small point to many, but it seems worth considering and might
kelp alleviate some fears and ease a difficult transition.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves