SR - scenario questions ... borderlands

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jul 5 23:22:13 PDT 1998

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998 mirrim at texas.net wrote:
> It is possible for a group to change what Kingdom or Principality
> they are a part of, but it is a difficult process and requires the
> approval of the group in question and the Crowns and Seneschals of
> both the gaining and losing areas, and the permission of the BOD.  I
> think the Principality borders must be firmly set before the
> Principality is official.  There is no period of time where it's
> easy for a group to change its mind.

Others have written counter-examples.

I would like to note Corpora here.  It is an old on-line copy (note it
refers to the "Steward" rather than the Society Seneschal), but I
don't think this has changed.  Corpora V.D:

   D. RESERVATIONS BY THE BOARD.  The Board specifically reserves unto
   itself the following functions with respect to branches of the
   Society:

      1. To set and revise the borders of branches.  However, the
         Steward may approve border adjustments below principality
         level.  Kingdom and principality borders may be adjusted by
         petition to the Board by the Crown(s), Coronet(s), and
         resident members of the area affected by the proposed
         adjustment.  All border adjustment petitions should be
         prepared or coordinated by the Kingdom Seneschal(s) and sent
         to the Steward, who will either rule on them or present them
         to the Board.

So it doesn't look any more difficult than a principality: poll the
people involved and get the royalty's approval.  In fact, it's much
less work, since you don't have to do principality law, a slate of
officers, name, device, et cetera.

However, note that the Board is omnipotent in the SCA.  Well, it
might not be able to change its Articles of Incorporation, but the
By-Laws and Corpora it can pretty much amend at will, though perhaps
it takes a super-majority.

Also, under the establishment clauses (pun intended):
     The person(s) originating the petition may appeal
     to the Steward, and then to the Board if the petitioner(s) are
     not satisfied.
That is, anyone can appeal to the Board.  The Board *tends* to back
the lower officers if proper published procedures were followed, but
that's not a given.

Daniel "for the Board is a jealous Board" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.