SR - Beginning new traditions

Michael A. Scofield ivarcat at juno.com
Tue Jul 14 18:19:18 PDT 1998

Dieter said:
*SNIP*

>Cool detail that I don't think a lot of folks have put thought into
>yet, Kaz... my gut reaction is to have the King do the first one
>(symbolizing a sense of legitimacy and fostering acceptance) and then
let it go from
>Prince and Princess to their heirs from that time on, allowing us to
start
>our own traditions and flavor.  What's everybody else's slant on this
one?

My feeling is that the Prince and Princess should be coronetted the first
time by the Crown of Ansteorra. Thereafter, the P & P pass the Coronet on
to the Heirs. *IF* the Crown wishes, and they are there, they may
participate. But their participation should be as a consenting witness.
The center of attention should be on the P & P not the Crown. A
Principality is a part of the Kingdom, but it is an entity in itself.

If you look at it as a Medieval Principality, the King would visit every
once in a while. He may or may not be there if a new Prince is crowned
(or coronetted). If the King is always there, it will be seen as a sign
that the Prince is his puppet. That is not what we want, well at least I
think that is true. Besides, one of the reasons for the Principality is
to cut down on the Crown's travel requirements. If they have to go to all
of the Principality Coronet events, they would have ours, and maybe more
if some of the other regions do the same thing.

>Something I stumbled upon today while looking over the soon-to-be
>Northern Atlantian Principality webpage was the idea of installing
limits on
>the number of times a person could be allowed to reign.   The gist of
the
>idea is this: if you win, you may not fight again for X tournaments
after
>you step down.  Term limits for princes!
>
>Some of you may go goggle-eyed over this concept, but coming from a
>kingdom where 13 reigns were held by two men it doesn't seem so absurd.
What
>do y'all think?
>
>Dieterich

I think it is a damned good idea. We have had the once and every other
King before. It is a real ego booster to the one who does it, but it, at
least from what I remember and others said when it happened, doesn't do
the Kingdom/Principality any good. My suggestion would be to make anyone
wait at least four coronet tournaments after they step down before they
can reenter the list.

This will of course mean that there will be a whole lot of first time
Prince & Princess' who will have a lot to learn about the role. I think
that since we will *ALL* know the people on the Principality throne much
better than the Crown of the Kingdom (most of the time) it should be
easier to deal with. Some may say that familiarity breeds contempt, well
yes it can. However, as was written in a recent T.I. the Crown (or
Coronet) must not try to be friends of the people, they must be *THE
PRINCE AND PRINCESS*. That will be the hardest thing for our P & P to
deal with. The first should go with the Crown of Ansteorra to learn about
the position (unless they have already been ther & done that, in which
case we need to wonder about their mental state).

Well, I've babbled enough (easy to do when you are older than dirt)

Ivar