SR - Beginning new traditions

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jul 16 09:30:44 PDT 1998

Sir corWIN wrote:
> Twas also period  to KILL ANYONE who Disagrees with your point of
> view!!.......anyone disagree?????????

I ... er, Pug disagrees.  He was just telling me, yeah, about plenty
of times that Moors and Jews interacted and lived in the same cities
as Christians.  Plenty of times they *didn't*, of course.  I, er, he
remembers the example (from _Christianity, Social Tolerance, and
Homosexuality_?) of a fellow who converted to Islam while on Crusade,
and then came home.  His family eventually did ask him to leave, but
only because he insisted on eating meat on Fridays.

On a secular plane, there's the example from Henry IInd's reign in
England.  Rhys of Dheubarth, I think, was in Henry's court when he saw
his enemies, a family who had seized much of his lands but which he
had subsequently retaken.  Rhys said that it was a source of no small
please that he had been defeated not by a mean and weak family, but by
a great family of rare power and prowess (Pug was paraphrasing from
memory here).  His enemies replied that, if they had to lose these
lands, they could lose them to no one more acceptably than the great
and noble prince before them.

Phelim "you kill me, you have to administer the e-lists" Gervase
--
Pug.   Reply to pug at pug.net.