SR - Beginning new traditions

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Thu Jul 16 13:53:36 PDT 1998

Martin, Brian wrote:

>         More debate about term limitations:

>        Still, term limitations (for lack of a better term) don't sit
> too well with me, either. Perhaps this is a good time to ask those who
> have lived in principalities before how they handled things and what
> problems they had or didn't have.
>
>         Pendaran

I think the drive for limiting the number of times on may sit a throne is the
result of .., shall we say, "difficulties" at Principality level.  I think
rather that people want to limit revolving door crowns and that attitude has
been extended to Coronets.  I, for one, am for limiting the number of times
someine can sit a throne in a given span of time.

Unlike term limits for modern congressmen, where (and this is the KEY) we ELECT
them, we the SCA rank and file have no say in who gets to fight in Crown/Coronet
tournament.  And, under the current system, unless you have the skill and
determination to become a "contender," you have no real chance of getting into a
position to get any such say.  Limiting the number of times any individual can
hold that "say" position effectively broadens the base of contenders but
eliminating the "super-contenders" from some of the Crown/Coronet tournaments.
It allows the possibility for fresh blood to enter the system.., allows for the
chance that those bearing newer ideas might similarly have a shot.

There are weekend after weekend worth of tournaments and competitions for one to
compete and hone skills.  There are Orders of Peerage for those skills to
culminate in.  However, only one of those skills will ever earn you a
crown/ruling coronet.., and that's fighting. And the winner of THAT tournament
is not merely some titled defender or artisan, but is the owner of the whole
enchilada.  Therefore there is a HUGE difference between the idea of limiting
participation in a crown/coronet list and talk of limiting participation in A/S
competitions, archery, or rapier.

As to problems in Principalities we have lived in:

There is a additional check on the old Coronet of Drachenwald.  Drachenwald, and
many other Kingdoms, give Patents to retiring Royalty (if they do not already
have one) thus making them Royal Peers.  In Drachenwald, ALL the other peers
were polled just before a Coronet retired, and the results of that polling were
binding.  If the majority of the peers thought that you were not deserving, no
Patent.  It's amazing what the thought of being a "hollow" Viscount would do to
make you straighten up your act.

Further, once in Drachenwald's history a Coronet was deemed to have acted so
vilely that letters were written and in response the King of the East came to
Europe, surveyed the situation, and told the Prince that this evening at court
you will abdicate or I will remove the Coronet from you.  He abdicated.

This could not have been avoided by limits.., but this is more because D'wald
already had such built in limits.  Most there were military, and automatically
rotated out of the Principality within 3-5 years.

Kazimir