SR - Weeding out the doofusses (doofi?)

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jul 18 17:56:22 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Pug said:
>If that was the case, why do we still have those that are considered
>"doofusses" by some fighting in "royal" tourneys. Ansteorra already has
>the limitation of those considered unworthy by the Crown being weeded
>out, but that is a very small group of individuals.

HL Jan replied:
>What kind of
>criteria would they use, and is this some knowledge that is passed from
>Crown to Crown?  Or does each Crown have to figure it out for
>themselves?  I do not have a problem with this being done as long as it
>is consistent from Crown to Crown.

And there's the rub.  This becomes a rather touchy point as every Crown
Tournament approaches.  Will the Crown refuse anyone?  If so, who?  On what
grounds?  Obviously a known cheat should be denied access, but what
constitutes a known cheat?   We don't exactly keep accurate records of our
tournaments, much less of infractions therein.  What else constitutes
"being a doofus"?  A record of criminal or otherwise reprehensible behavior
might be a reasonable watermark, but this attitude doesn't allow for the
possibility of growth.  I've seen some pretty enormous buttheads grow up to
be decent leaders (and, yes, vice versa).  So when should the Crown refuse
an entrant?

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace