SR - Beginning new traditions

Michael A. Scofield ivarcat at juno.com
Mon Jul 20 19:04:26 PDT 1998

Kief in response to Daniel said:

>You wrote:
>
>>I'll counter with "A stitch in time saves nine" -- "preventive
>>maintenance" *is* fixing something before it breaks.
<Snip>
 To retain the flavor and tradition of  this kingdom our Crown needs to
have the authority to do pretty much what They wish to do. There are
checks and blances already in place.
>The K. Seneschal reviews any changes to Law, the K. Treasurer must
approve any expenditures, the K. Earl Marshal does the same for
Combat.... A Curia, once in place, is like a bureaucracy...damned hard to
get rid of and prone to stiffle growth and creativity. In my
>opinion of course.........

I agee with Kief. Although the idea of a way to stop a Coronet or Crown
from doing something stupid sounds good, the more you try to micro manage
something, the more problems you create. I seem to remember someone
telling me that one of our neighboring Kingdoms has Kingdom Laws much
like what the Texas Constitution is, volumes and volumes of laws to do
everything. And most of them totally useless and unknown to the general
populace. Think about publishing the Laws if they are so large they have
to be bound and not stapled.

Our Crown already has a group of people they can depend upon for advice,
the Landed Nobility, the
Peers, and all of the past Crowns (sorry I do not like the *Royal Family*
idea) of Ansteorra. Many times the Crown will not really want to hear
from these people, but being Ansteorrans, they tell them anyway, as is
their duty.

Ther is too much bureaucracy now, that is one of the reasons to go for a
Principality. One of the things that needs to be discussed at the next
few meetings is what do we want in the laws along these lines. Of course,
we haven't seen what Baron Kazamir has put together. Maybe we ought to
wait and see. It's easy to pick on something already written.

>>Laissez-faire can allow a problem to occur; intervention can prevent
>>the problem at the price of others.  It may just be a case of "damned
>>if you do, damned if you don't".
>

>I would prefer to allow the possible problem to occur, and fix it at
>the point source, rather than try to stop a "creeping error" that
somehow
>got out of control...
>
>>Daniel "stale cliches are a dime a dozen here" de Lincolia
>

>Kief "Curia...? We don need no stinkin' Curia here..." av Kiersted
>
>"Better the Hammer than the nail..."

Darn it, I agree with my brother again, even though he is a Dane!>

Ivar