SR - SCA Laws

Brent & Susan Rachel hbrache at texas.net
Tue Jul 21 13:21:34 PDT 1998

HseTrinity at aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I just do not agree with the whole Curia system.  I feel that it bogs down,
> complicates the system, and takes time that may not be available.  Here is an
> example.  During Duke Kein's last reign, he changed the law to allow butt
> spikes and fiber glass shafts on the combat arrows.  As I understand it this
> was done so that Our Kingdom would not be at a disadvantage at Gulf War. (if I
> am wrong I am sure that someone will correct me) If a curia had to be called
> and consulted their may not have been enough time for the changes to take
> effect.  This could have hurt us in the following war.  I just think that we
> should remember the KISS rule.

If the quorum for the Curia is the Sovereign, the Seneschal and any two other
officers (and one might hope that the Earl Marshal was included in this example)
then it would actually be pretty easy and fast to ask them their opinion and get
on with the business.

A curia is not a Continental Congress and need not be Huge formal affair.

When I originally threw this out for discussion I asked how folks felt about a
coucil of some sort that the Coronet must act in concert with on certain SPECIFIED
matter of law.., tending to center around finance and contracts.  I specifically
did NOT use the term "curia," because of it's conotations.

Kazimir