SR - Colors etc...

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 3 15:05:29 PDT 1998

There was a point I wanted to make some time ago about
German-based names.  The German word for "lion" is, I
believe, "L{o:}wen".  This is NOT pronounced like English
"lowen", as in "Them cows been a-lowing all day.  Must be an
earthquake comin'".  (The beer is not properly pronounced
"lowin' brow".  FOr that matter, "bud wise er" isn't right
either.)

>From my semester of college German, I believe o-umlaut is
pronounced with the lips round and tense like for saying
"o", but trying to say "e" instead.  Sort of an "eu" sound
(rather like "u" in French "tu").  German "w" is pronounced
"v", so "L{o:}wen" sounds pretty close to "lovin'".  (More
like "lurvin'", as in "They're in luuuuuurve".)

Of those who understand what I'm getting at, any problems
with a name that sounds like "lovin'"?  Note: I don't
consider a deliberate mispronunciation to be an option.

I could ask around about Frisian, Dutch, et cetera, see if
they're significantly different.

Daniel "l{o:}wen every minute of it" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.