SR - Some lion-based names

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 3 22:06:13 PDT 1998

I received the following mail some time ago, from a noted
SCA herald whom I asked about German lion-based names.

    Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:25:22 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Heather Rose Jones <hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu>
    To: Tim McDaniel <tmcd at austin.ibm.com>
    Subject: Re: Help with principality names?

One of the advantages in considering "lion" names is that Latin "Leo" is
also a _given_ name, and given names were more likely that surnames to
spawn placenames.

For example, from the German angle, Brechenmacher has the following
surnames derived from placenames in "Leo-":

Leonberger
possibly Leonegg
Leoweiler

For German "Loewe", the vernacular word for the beast, the
same source has: ["{o:}" is sometimes spelled "oe", I
believe, especially in Austria]

Lo"wenbeck
Lo"wenberg
Lo"wenhahn
Lo"wenich
Lo"wenstein

Somehow, though, Ansteorra never struck me strongly as _German_.

Tangwystyl

[I informed her of the pockets of European immigrants such
as West, New Braunsfels (?), et cetera.]

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;
if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work address.