SR - Principality Preps Task Group

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jun 6 20:35:56 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Mistress Meadhbh says:

>I respectfully must disagree with this statement that not all groups need
to be
>represented on the 'task force'.

Well, certainly.  I have no problem with disagreement.  I specifically
*asked* why we should include representatives from all of the groups.

Mistress Meadhbh continues:

ALL groups should have a representative working
>on one or more of the projects involved (unless the group decides it does not
>want a representative).

Okay.  I really have no *problem* with folks from every group volunteering
to help--if they volunteer.  So far, however, that hasn't happened.
Lionardo, Kazimir, Timo, Kief, Aquilanne, Duncan, Tivar, Aethelyan, Daniel,
Corwin, and AElfwyn are the volunteers I've seen thus far (let me know if
I've missed anyone).  That covers Bjornsborg, Raven's Fort, Bryn Gwlad, and
Ffynnon Gath.  I don't think anyone is trying to exclude the other groups,
but if no one from Middleford, Tempio, or Shadowlands volunteers, what
would you have us do?  I don't favor conscripting unwilling labor for this
sort of task group.

>Otherwise, it will seem they will be handed information
>that they had no input on. Granted, this is a perception but could cause
>problems in the future.  This is not a 'warm fuzzy'. This is being fair and
>assuring ALL groups have input in some part of the process.

Again, I'd like to see some examples of the sort of injustices you're
foreseeing.  I've tried, and I just can't picture it.

>As for the newsletter/FAQ... who will be paying for all of the copies that
will
>be distributed to the groups?  Who decides what is added/deleted? Is that a
>function of a 'group' or the individual in charge of the process. It seems
to me
>that a Task Force is a group entity NOT singular individuals with individual
>assignments.  I would think the Task Force would meet, go over information
and
>be sure there is concensus on what is being distributed. Even if this
'meeting'
>is everyone gets a copy of the information, reviews it, makes any changes and
>gets it back to whomever will distribute the final copies.

Actually, this is exactly the sort of grotesque, parliamentary organization
I was hoping to avoid.  Three people volunteering to put a FAQ together
strikes me as reasonable.  A seven-city committee editing said FAQ sounds
like a formula for stagnation.  Imagine how often we'd get a Black Star out
if every group in the kingdom had to edit it.

Similarly, I can see one person (Kazimir has volunteered) putting together
a set of *non-binding* proposed principality laws.  Everyone will have
plenty of time to read his proposal, edit, and offer comments for revision.

As for money, no one has asked for financial support yet, but I don't
anticipate any real problems.  We don't have a regional account, so we
can't assume a bankroll for a large-scale regional project.  My guess is
the volunteers will print up copies for the seven seneschals and let each
group absorb the cost of distributing copies to members.

Aquilanne and Timo have already discussed the possibility of distributing
follow-up letters to supplement any lack we (the folks of the region)
perceive in the first FAQ.

Overall, I think I support the amorphous mass model Daniel de Lincolia
proposed for the heraldry group.  Remember, we're not talking about a
senate here, just a task group.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace