SR - newsletters and regional funds

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Jun 16 15:16:08 PDT 1998

I'll only touch on a couple points.

Dennis and Dory Grace said something that sounded like:
> >These were all things *individuals* were doing. These did not
> >require the groups to support them monitarily.
> So when should that stop someone from volunteering?

Nope.

My concern with a Regional newsletter that is sponsored by group funds
is I see it as jumping the gun towards a Principality. Since we haven't
figured out where the boundries should be *if* a Principality is formed,
I don't think we can ask the groups for money.

Individuals wishing to contribute to such an endeavour are more than
encouraged to help get it off the ground though!

As for how to distribute the types of information regarding regional
events, the FAQ, etc. without a Regional newsletter, I thought we'd do
the old fashioned way we have in the past. We mail a copy to the Seneschal
and Chronicler of each group to make available to their populace through
their meetings and newsletter. This means it gets to more than just the
paid members of the Society as well.

> You were local
> chronicler at one time; did the newsletter always support itself?

As long as I was Chronicler it did. We are a lucky group since we get
certain costs covered so the Barony doesn't have to.

> >Is *planning* for a profit requiring a donation?
> >"Oh our break-even for 200 people is $5 each, so we'll set the cost at
> > $7 so we can cover the regional newsletter."
> I'm not sure I follow you here. Are you talking about a group figuring
> their break-even and cost for an *event* to cover the costs of a
> newsletter?

Yes. I seem to remember that being one of the suggestions made earlier
unless I read it wrong.

> All this is really
> not the big bugbear that some folk might tend to think it is. Regions and
> principalities have been building and doing this kind of stuff for over 3
> decades now. There's no reason for any of us to get all woolly over the
> money thing.

I don't know about Regions elsewhere. They haven't here. As for
Principalities, we haven't decided *if* we want to do one yet enough
that I feel comfortable with us allocating and asking groups for
money to support a newsletter to promote it.

> As has been mentioned earlier, funds can at the very least be held in the
> Kingdom's bank account as earmarked for a region's use. There would not be
> a stipulation like this unless there were precedence for it.

Actually I though the original stipulation was due to dormant groups
(and thus no longer official), but that could certainly be wrong.

> >I don't think a
> >region should plan on owning property or making any significant money
> >until they are an officially recognized group.
> Where do you think all those newborn principalities get their start-up
> funds?

They are formed from groups and regional events *after* it has been
decided that they will form a Principality.

> As far as
> responsibility for the money, I don't *think* we'd keep it in a shed (sorry
> ;->).

You're no fun!

*grin*

> What kind of stuff did you have in mind?

I thought you had specificially listed pavilions for the region's use
in your previous message. This is the type of stuff I am concerned with.

Ciao,