SR - principality reasoning

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 22 18:47:32 PDT 1998

Gillie says:
>>>I haven't checked the map, but I feel save in saying that every where in
the Kingdom is within 100 miles of a Barony, not to mention all the the
other Excellancies, and Graces that are out their.  God bless them for what
they do; but,  I don't think this will decrease the number of events the
Crown goes to during Their reign. <<<

The "eases the burden of the Crown" is, in my opinion, one of the lesser
reasons to support forming a Principality. It may very well not decrease
the number of events a Crown attends during Thier reign, but it just as
easily may. It does at least offer TM the opportunity to hit one or two
events less.

>>>My other question is "Who is going to make the new insignias"?<<<

Whoever tosses in suggestions and those who put in thier ballot for one
idea or another will play a part in the choosing and designing of any
insignia. The heralds will, of course, play the most decisive part in what
we're allowed to have in the end.

>>>Undoubtedly there will principality awards: some of which will require
insignia, all of which will require paper of some kind.  Currently those
good gentles doing this work now can bearly keep up.  And we're thinking of
adding another layer of awards to make and keep track of?<<<

The question of "work" will take care of itself. No one is going to force
anyone to continue to hold (or to take on) an office that develops from a
regional office into a principality office that's more work than they
signed on for. There are folks willing to do the work (which really isn't
as much more in many cases as some might think). If there aren't, then the
question of whether we make a principality or not will pretty much be
answered, I do believe.

I think that rather than us talking about how horrible all this extra work
will be *for someone else* perhaps we should let officers or prospective
officers speak for themselves; they're more than capable of saying whether
or not they'll be willing or able to maintain their regional offices if
they develop into principality offices or if they would need a replacement.

>>>The concept of principality does'nt bother me.  I'm one of the few who
can say they were playing here before it was the Principlaity of Ansteorra.
 However; I want to see it done for the right reasons.<<<

What do you see as the right reasons?

The reasons I like the idea of making a principality are the fun of
creating something and the development of a new level of opportunities for
1) leadership opportunities; 2) another level of pageantry; 3) another
level of artistic expression; 4) event themes; 5) more closely knit communty.

I also think that one of the very best reasons to make a principality here
is that it would appear that the clear majority here want to. Based on a
combination of the polls listed on the southern regional page to date
(except Shadowlands; the only votes listed for them is about boundaries; so
I suppose you could even consider those as in support overall), something
like 75% are in favor, about 18% don't care/abstained, and only 7% said no.

I'd also like to point out that it's pretty easy for anyone to come along
and address any of these points (along with other reasons folks give in
favor of a principality)  with something to the effect of "but we can do
stuff like that,  minus having a Prince and Prince, *without* a
Principality." Anyone can argue with any of these reasons. Anyone can say
something like "we've survived all this time without a principality, I
don't see the need now." I don't necessarily have any specific problem with
comments of this sort. I guess at this point, though, I look at the results
of those straw polls held around the region. I'm betting that the
undecideds aren't campaigning against the concept and are just sitting back
and looking at the reasoning on both sides. Since I've yet to hear much in
the way of solid argument *against* getting together and doing the
principality thing (and the "it's so much work" argument won't hold,
because we have a load of people willing to work--and already doing a bunch
of work), I'm curious; why does this small percentage of folk not want the
apparent majority of us to do this thing we want to do? My question to
everyone who voted 'no' would be "how do you think things might change for
the worse for *you* if we make a Principality?" Don't get me wrong, I'm not
trying to offend anyone or stifle any valid arguments against a
principality, if anyone can come up with one. Maybe if we dragged some of
these fears out into the light, they could be examined. (BTW, Gillie, I'm
not referring to you or your question here; this is something I've been
wondering about for a while anyway). I'm just a little concerned with
having seen a little of what seems to me to just be counterproductive
naysaying or negativity for negativity's sake. Maybe I'm just misperceiving
some stuff; any feedback from anyone on this?

Aquilanne