SR - A Question Concern

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 23 13:32:11 PDT 1998

On 23 Jun 98, at 14:49, CAB wrote:

> 1)  You accuse me of making an "Unfounded emotional appeal." - I am
> emotional about this.  I love being an Ansteorran.  Maybe you don't
> understand how I feel because you aren't from Ansteorra.  When I graduated
> from College, I started looking for a job, and I wouldn't even consider
> anything outside of TX and OK because I won't leave Ansteorra.

as many have pointed out, the formation of a principality will in now way, shape, or
form make anyone less a ansteorran ....

how about those of us who initially supported the formation of the principality, and later
the kingdom of ansteorra ... who understand the reasons and totally support the
creation of a new entity (for many of the same reasons the origional was created ...).

over the years i've seen a growth and growing consolidation of a "regional identity" that
the current socio-political structure is increasingly failing to support and nurture (as
observed through the words of those affected).  i see this as the prime reason for
creating a new entity that is potentially more responsive to that increasingly unique
demographic.

as for the size issue, those from the north are often strangers to those in the south
and vice-sersa due to the practical limitations of distance and time that we all must
contend with.  this leads to staying closer to home and attending events with others
who can't make the longer treks, this in turn leads to building alliances and
connections closer to home, which in turn leads to that self-same development of
regional identies.

look at the history most of the principality hive-offs to date and you will see many of
these same forces in action.  it's simply a function of healthy growth.

> 2) You say the Populus supports the opinion.  - But how much of does the
> populous know about this? The first I heard about it was yesterday when I
> subscribed to this list.  Are you sure that "the populus" knows about
> this? Is it possible that the people for the principality knew that you
> would be discussing it at these meetings, so that came.  While the people
> opposing this (like me) didn't know about the meetings?  So your votes are
> squewed???

if the ongoing straw polls remain roughly 75% in favor vs. 25% against (stats heard
from several sources who are tracking these things ...), and the polling pools are
constatly expanding as information is further disseminated,   i don't see these basic
proportions changing radically (doubt that there are huge pools of anti-principality folk
lurking in the background waiting for a final assault .... would make a good epic tale
though ...grin).  while it's probably true that the pro folk are more vocal and more
active, but that's quite normal in a grass-roots movement that has grown from long
planted seeds.

> 1) Last I checked, I was a paid member and therefore part of the populace.
> So I think that my opinion counts just as much as anyone elses in this
> region ....

nobody is debating that your voice has any less validity than anyone else ... that's
where the 75% pro is coming from - the populace ... those folk like you and me.  on a
related point, without opening the "pay to play" can-o-wyrms, it's not just "paid
members" whose voices count ... it's *everyone* who has vested interest in this matter
... all voices should (must) be heard, every opinion counted and added to the totals.

> ... and from talking to some of the other people I know in this region
> yesterday, they didn't know about this either and they are also against
> the principality.

then i would suggest that there's a problem at your end of the chain ...if the information
is not flowing as it should, then you should address the structure of your local group
and the upstream chain of information and find out where the problem is

if there's a problem, and if you are passonate in this you are free to start your own
grass roots movement and start orgainizing support for your views.  but make sure that
you bring them to the open discussions ... the con' views have as much validity as the
pro' - but only if they are presented and heard.

who knows, you might swing enough of the pro-principality folk to your cause, and kill
the proposal ... for now.  but be prepared, it will come back again, and again with
increasing frequency until it becomes reality ... too many seeds, too much desire, too
many social and political forces driving growth / evolution / change ...

always remember one of the basic rules of history .... things change

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves