SR - Lack of Information

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 23 23:16:54 PDT 1998

Eirik Halfdanarson wrote:
>    It's not that we are now finding out, I  downloaded and read the
>Southern archive and we missed out on a lot because no  one simply took the
>time and effort to contact anyone in the shire and let us  know what was
>happening. I read messages about wanting volunteers to help decide  various
>items and Middleford was mentioned as not wanting to volunteer to help
>with the whole idea. In fact, Middleford had NO  knowledge of what was
>happening. If someone had wanted to involve Middleford,  there are e-mail
>addresses in the Black Star and on our web page that is under  the Southern
>region home page. A serious lack of communication with one of the  members
>that is listed as a participant shows me that there is a serious lack of
>organiztion. If this idea going to succeed, we need to come together and
>get a  lot better communication among the groups that are in Southern
>Region before we  start asking others to join us. If we are to have better
>regional cohesion, than  all the groups need to assist each other within
>the region.

The first meeting was held in Tempio, your closest neighbors, no more than
30 miles away. Why weren't any of you there to support your closest
neighbor's biggest event of the year? We didn't think we *had* to tell you.
I'm sorry. I don't think most of us thought you guys were so insular. In
that light, I guess I don't understand what you mean by "all the groups
need to assist each other within the region."

Anyway, that first meeting was only just held in April, a couple months
ago. It was held to discuss the possibility of *looking* at considering a
principality. The consensus was that we should attempt to disseminate the
conversation as widely as possible. That *has* happened already to a great
degree. One of the things talked about was a desire not to rush anything,
so we haven't been. In fact, I've only just gotten around to laying out
some ideas for a regional newsletter. Although I've gotten enough donations
to carry out the first issue, it's going to take some time to get input
from enough folk on regional events and putting the calandar together and
getting FAQ info from Timo and whoever else is working on the FAQ with him.
These things don't just happen overnight. Info spreads very quickly over
email (a little too quickly it would sometime seem), and once you get on
the net, non-net info is going to seem horribly slower by comparison. It's
a culture shock thing that you eventually get a handle on.

Bottom line is, there's no need to panick. As has been discussed long
before some of you newer folk got on the list, no firm or holding decisions
are going to be made here. We have a wonderful tool here in the list; let's
not go freaking out all over the place.

BTW, for those who have expressed concerns about "splits" and "walls" and
"divisions" and such, I'd like to point out that some of us disagree with
each other's opinions. That's ok. That doesn't mean "the region is divided"
or any such melodramatic nonsense. It simply means that some of us disagree
with each other. We're adults, we have every right in the world to disagree
and debate and discuss. Sometimes some solid good can come of it, and
sometimes some of us learn things (like that the Crystal posting today
*isn't'* the Baroness of Raven's Fort. ;-> ).

Aquilanne