SR - Not knowing about this

Michael Scofield ivar_runamagi at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 24 06:59:29 PDT 1998

Sir Galen wrote:

>Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 01:35:54 -0500
<SNIP>
>> I also have a very large problem with how this is being handled as
far
>> as distribution of information.  Many people can not attend populace
>> meetings and most of the meetings on this subject have been announced
>> with only a short time before the meeting.
>
>> These ways of distributing information and taking votes are also
easily biased.  I > work in medical research and have seen this happen.
I also have a problem with > this
> [...]
would
>simply be diluting their own voting strength, not a good idea. It may
be
>that the groups don't feel that they are being listened to beccause
they
>don't get any kind of formal response.  That is understandable, because
>at this time there is no sort of formal organization to draft such a
>response.  Those who are pro-principality are working on developing
some
>sort of organization for that, but things take time.  As to your last
>sentence in the above paragraph, I can only reiterate...I disagree.
>

> I also do not want to see a principality form just to break off.  But
>that is a misleading concept.  If there is such a call for division
that
>a part of the kingdom wishes to break off, they don't need a
>principality to do it.  In fact, a principality might serve as a sort
of
>"relief valve", allowing those who want change, who want to be involved
>in the creation of something new, who want all of the things that are
>involved with an undertaking like this a chance to do it _without_
>splitting the Kingdom.  With all of the energy, focus and drive need to
>make a new principality, I don't think anyone would be ready to leap
off
>into making a new kingdom for a long, long time.  As I said, I believe
>that this kingdom is a lot stronger than some people give credit for
and
>I refuse to believe that simply creating a subdivision within it will
>lead to its demise and downfall.  If that were true, the differences in
>our geographic and cultural regions within the Kingdom would have torn
>us apart years ago.
>
>I am not part of the group supporting the principality movement, I
don't
>live in the area. But I also don't want to see them given a bad name,
as
>if they were trying to do something behind peoples backs.  I have
>watched from a distance, and as far as I can see these people have done
>everything they can to be inclusive, to spread information both on and
>off the net, and to be sure that _everyone_, pro and con, has had a
>chance to have input.  Has everyone had that chance yet?  No, they
>haven't, but this is just getting started.  Have some people slipped
>through the cracks?  Of course, but that is why there will be many more
>such discussions in the future.  If you have heard about things now,
>then you are still getting in on the ground floor, nobody has started
>building anything yet, they are just trying to get ideas for a
>prospective blue print.
>
>> I thank you for you time,
>>
>> Jason MacPherson
>>
>> ONE STAR--ONE KINGDOM
>
>One Star, One Kingdom.....I agree.  But a Principality needn't change

You have politely told all of the people raising hell about not knowing
anything about the proposed principality that they don't need to get
their draweres in a bunch. I'm glad you did it, I'm afraid that all of
the shouting and cheap shots being taken had gotten out of hand. There
were 130 new messages on my mail this morning, come on folks, use a
little restraint. Wait until you have a substantial message, not three
or four words in response to someone else who wrote three or four
paragraphs. And change the "Subject" if you aren't addressing the topic.

Knowledge of the discussions and polls of everyone who was at the
various meetings (including populace meetings all over the region) and
other information is going to get out to everyone who is active enough
to go to populace meetings, events, fighter practice, guild meetings, or
any other SCA related gathering, just as soon as the people who have
volunteered to put together the newsletter can get it done.

Ivar