SR - Some Thoughts

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Wed Jun 24 07:33:38 PDT 1998

	Greetings All,

	It seems that many people are getting heated up and emotional
concerning the principality question. When discussion, particularly
discussions via email, get heated like this, misunderstandings begin to
occur, and that leads to all sorts of bad things.

	Let me first ask everyone to take a deep breath and settle down.
Let's please keep these discussions polite and respectful. I'm not
singling any one out, I'm directing this at both sides of the debate.

	Now, for those of you who have just tuned into this debate and
feel left out, please understand that this whole process is in its
beginning stages. All that it is at the moment is a debate. We are a
long way from taking any official votes if it ever even gets to that
stage. Don't worry, your not being railroaded and no one is making any
end runs around you. For those of you in Middleford, we probably assumed
that y'all knew about the debate since the first meeting to discuss the
matter was held in your neighboring shire of Tempio. As for a lack of
communication, I know that a southern regional newsletter is in the
works and that should go a long way to helping to inform folks who
aren't on the net.

	Finally, I want to talk about something that I see is happening
in this region. Right now this region is humming with growth and energy.
This is due to a variety of reasons that include a large number of
people moving into the area, new people joining the SCA, and in part to
the principality discussion. If this excitement and energy is not
nurtured and directed, it will fade away and eventually die. If that
happens, we will suffer from stagnation and apathy. Our events will
suffer in quality and attendance. However, if we channel this energy in
a positive direction, it can grow and the entire region can benefit by
way of great, creative, fun events that are supported and attended by
all of the groups in the region and many from outside of the region.

	Let's not start bickering with each and create rifts that will
ultimately kill this drive and hurt the region. Instead, I ask that we
continue to debate as friends who respect one another's opinions and
feelings. In the mean time, regardless of whether that debate continues
or ends, let us work to build this region through cooperation and fun
events. I don't want southerners to go to an event in the southern
region just because they feel that they have to support the region. I
want people - regardless of where they're from - to go to events in this
region because the events are fun.

	So what do y'all think; can we work together to build a region
by supporting one another and helping one another with fun events?
That's my challenge. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

	Thanks,
	Pendaran